Pages

8.27.2013

Make the call...

What's the deal? 

I've always had the impression that institutions, people want to take my money here.  Don't get me wrong, I love the UK... but Hidden fees, extra fees, forgot to mention fees, if in the contract fees.

Anyways, these few days I've noticed too much tax being deducted and the highest E.ON heat tariff applied to us.



Example one.
Before we moved into our flat we were told our heat tariff had a standing/service charge of £1 per day but could be reduced to 27p per day. I called E.ON and the operator said they couldn't help yet because it was too soon. A few weeks later I sent out an email, after not being able to go through E.ON.

Hi,
We would like to change our heat/electricity tariff to a reduced tariff of 0.27 per day. We have been informed we have an excessive charge of £1 a day!!
This is a new build development with energy efficient products and I don't understand why we must have this excessive charge. £1 is not justified. I have tried contacting EON via phone 2 or 3 times and no response.
Thank you.
To which they replied...

Thank you for your email.

With reference to the Energy Service Charge, E.ON is contracted to operate and maintain the network on behalf of the developer for the term of our contract with them. This means it is our responsibility to carry out all routine maintenance, repair, and replacement of any part of the network and or the technology that provides heat to your home. It is part of the terms and conditions of our residential heat supply agreement that the proportional cost of the above is paid by the owner of a property. To further clarify, it also includes maintenance, repair, and replacement of the heat Interface Unit within your property.  The Service charge amount will not be reduced down to 0.27 per day.

Please find a copy of the other tariffs we have available that you may want to consider changing to, these other tariffs may benefit you depending on whether you are a high user or low user . I have also included a copy of the residential supply agreement that we have sent to you.

If you require any further information please give me a call.

Since I thought our bill was too expensive, I called E.ON, once again... this time.. all of a sudden, we can be switched to the 27.72p daily standing charge instead of the £1 but that they couldn't refund our money. What!? Really? Anyways... I set up my direct debit (really didn't feel like paying that on principle) and switched to the 27p tariff.. I also made a claim on the first bill.

Why set people up with the most expensive tariff anyways? Is that even legal?

Example two.
My husband. Recently noticed he was being deducted between £150 and £200 extra the last few months. He asked his employer and got a spreadsheet without any details. Then he called HRMC (that is why we were late to work this morning) and it turns out he's being deducted because he's been using private health care instead of the public one. Say what!? Shouldn't we pay less for social security because we DON'T using public health care?

Hold on, it gets better... Now, after my husband call the guy on the other end of the line said that from next month onwards, instead of deducting £150, they would only deduct £50.  

From now on... every time I set up an account, sign a contract. I will call their help desk and see what "deal" I can get... 

Cheers!

Vocabulary:
Deal - noun.  Call that stops people from ripping you off!

No comments:

Post a Comment