Pages

7.25.2013

Rant about Tablets


What if we are looking at tablets in the wrong way?

Tablets are great! You can install all sorts of games and applications. Great company on the commute to work, where you can watch a movie, play games or read a book. They are also great at work. They provide small distractions and break from work (although I recommend taking proper coffee breaks and lunch breaks), and great for taking notes in meetings or looking for references of things that come up during the conversation.

They are great, but are also clunky, big. The first day I had my ipad, I laid in my bed and tried to play a game. The iPad slipped off my hand and fell on the floor. 

The applications are getting better and better and so many new applications are coming out each day many are never downloaded or even noticed.

There are so many great apps. Take for example the timer app. You can set al sorts of timers for anything. 
1. A reminder to drink a glass of water every hour.
2. A reminder to take vitamins after lunch.
3. A reminder to take pills before going to bed.
4. Set alarms for work days and for weekends. (should be automatically for holidays too).
5. Set alarm for the roast in the oven and the steamed vegetables too.

It is a great and useful app. The problem is the big clunky device and all the different areas where you would need to take your tablet. Buying different devices or alarm clocks would also be a problem because you would need to set each one up and not sophisticated enough to say:
1. Set alarm for roast chicken 500g.
2. Set alarm for 6 am everyday except on tuesday (working from home) and saturday and sunday.

to name two. 

I think we are ready for the next big thing, and I'm not fully convinced Glasses are it. My ideal situation would be  to have the same interface as Glasses but not on my head and in front of my eyes. Instead, on my bedside table, kitchen counter and desk. A small device to project that image (we already have it with the glasses) but on any surface and connected to a central service or tablet.

Tablets would then become "transparent screens" similar to the one in Minority Report...

Having a wifi, bluetooth and so and so next to my brain and wearing a device on my head every day, every second.. doesn't seem natural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment